Sunday, August 21, 2011

perros calientes

I have had quite an eventful weekend!

Saturday: We had our YL/WL leader retreat with the staff and volunteer adult leaders and the 8 student leaders (10-12th graders, 4 gals & 4 guys) who will help lead wyldlife (the middle school "club"). I felt like part of the group instantly. This group of 8 students blew me away with their leadership and desire to serve for the sake of their peers and middle school students knowing Christ. We dug into some scripture, played lots of games, planned club for the fall semester and ate lots of pizza and the most delicious crepes ever! My heart is full of thanks for this new community of people in my life that I get to journey with for the next 9 months.
Our team of student leaders!

Alex, Sydney and Sofi (fellow YL leaders)

Sunday: Went to La Vina church (associated with The Vineyard in US) and worshiped in Spanglish. Twas beauty in that place, seeing gringos and ticos whole-heartedly and humbling worshiping Jesus Christ. Afterwards, I went to Walmart (yes they have Walmart here!) and got groceries for the week and hung with my YL team amigas.
My host family has "movie night" on Sunday evenings where we all (madre Rosi, padre Carlos & other "tenants", Sonia, Luis and I) cram into the parents bedroom and watch a movie (american movie dubbed en espanol!), eat hotdogs and drink coke. I have to explain their version of hotdogs, aka "perros calientes"....it's a regular hotdog on a bun with butter, ketchup, mustard and mayo with cabbage and diced tomatoes on top. Quite a concoction! It wasn't that bad actually! I had such a blast laughing and hanging with my Costa Rican family tonight. Thankful for awkward food and situations that make life so much fun.
I also am so thankful for technology that allows me to see and talk to my family, boyfriend and friends while I'm here.

Gracias Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment