Saturday, August 20, 2011

mariposas


I have arrived in Costa Rica and survived my first few days venturing about the unique city of San Jose! I live in a small house on a mountain in Escazu (west of San Jose). My host parents are very sweet. Mi madre cooks me breakfast and dinner every day (rice and beans are in almost every meal!) and mi padre is from Lima, Peru (we have fun things to talk about, since I've been there). My Young Life International team in San Jose is AWESOME. 5 gals, including me. All unique, all so loving, authentic and friendly. I would not have survived my first few days here without them! Looking forward to being on a team and doing ministry together this school year!
As soon as I landed, we hit the ground running with getting to know each other and planning the semester for YL. Needless to say, there has been a lot to take in with new ministry, foreign language and unknown people and lands. Yesterday feeling very overwhelmed and doubting why I was here, I was reminded of my purpose and what keeps it steadfast. The HOPE in the saving grace of Jesus Christ is the only thing that sustains my purpose. This truth revealed to me was a breath of fresh air as I was being suffocated by fears.

Today Sydney, the other intern, and I completed "Mission San Jose". Our instruction was to take the bus to downtown San Jose and visit different landmarks in the city. We did not know what to expect, but discovered many treasures in the city, admist getting lost one too many times!
One place we went to was Museo National. We walked in and the first exibit was a Butterfly Museum! Butterflies (mariposas) fluttered about us and my heart flooded with thanks. I got giddy sensing the love of Christ in that moment. Butterflies have always been a symbol of God's love and presence to me ever since senior year of high school. After such a long, overwhelming past few days, these beautiful creatures reminded me of the beauty and richness of life when living for the Kingdom of God.

Butterflies are such special creatures because they embody transformation. The butterflies must ABIDE in their cacoons in order to be made into the wonderous creature they are. As you and I ABIDE in our Father, we are transformed into the reflection of God we were made to be and are free to flutter in the abundance of God's grace. Renewal and transformation always begin with abiding in Jesus Christ with a still heart.

Where ever you are today, may you remain in Jesus Christ, the only secure hope in life and the purpose for every moment. 

1 comment:

  1. So happy you are adjusting to your new surroundings! Can't wait to read more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete