Thursday, May 31, 2012

Give us our daily bread

A couple months ago I joined a Moms prayer group (yes, I know I'm not a mom...) that meets weekly to pray for the school we have most contact with, Country Day School. I have a different role than a mom at the school, obviously, but I am reaching out to their kids and they welcomed me to be part of their prayer group with open arms. Every Thursday morning we meet in the beautiful patio of the director's home and use this schedule of scripture verses to frame our prayer time. It's a great resource and I recommend it to anyone who is wanting to start a prayer group or is already in one and needs some guidance. You look at 5 different verses with 5 correlating focuses: Focus, Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication (we hone in on prayers for CDS here). We read the verse then pray as we feel led and continue with the next verse and so on. It was truly a blessing to be around these Godly, vulnerable, loving women each week and to see God working in the places we prayed for.

Today was my last meeting with these wonderful ladies. We delivered homemade cakes and thank you cards to the 5 administrators of CDS after our prayer time today. It was so beautiful to see how they received the gifts and how touched they were as we told them we had been praying for them all year. We also shared breakfast together, which we normally don't do. We broke bread together as we feasted on the Word and the Bread of Life, Jesus Christ.

Melissa made homemade bread in her bread maker...a recipe borrowed from Michelle...



Pai Li, our beautiful Malaysian friend, brings the REAL fried rice she wants us to try from a nearby restaurant...












I reflect on how in the Lord's prayer we are to pray,

"your kingdom come, 
your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  
Give us today our daily bread."
Matthew 6:10-12


Each week we gather and start with our true daily bread...the Word of God. We commune with Jesus, the Bread of Life and we are filled to the brim with His nourishment. Each week I leave FULL, ready to pour out for a days work with 2 groups of campaigners ahead of me each Thursday. 






Thursdays became my favorite day of the week: prayer meeting, campaigners during CDS lunch with a mixed group of  around 5-8 students each week, then after school campaigners with my 3 chicas. I got to lead students in seeking the real, lasting, satisfying Bread of Life as we studied the scriptures and walked through life together over the past 9 months.


Our last campaigners of the semester at CDS...
We started at the beginning of the book of John first semester and discussed a little each Thursday during lunch...we only got thru chapter 9, quality vs quantity, right! :) Next semester they will pick up right where we left off. I will miss this group a lot! Many weeks we had more kids come to campaigners (believers and non-believers) than to club! It was a really sweet time for students to break from their stressful day and think about Jesus and not physics or math or the drama going on in their lives. For the believers that came, it was a refuge and safe place to talk about their faith and grow with each other in Christ. 


I also met with Lau, Dania and Sofi each Thursday after school. We instantly clicked and become so close, so quick. Sometimes I look at them and see myself 6 years ago. I would say my time with these girls was the most meaningful part of ministry here in Costa Rica. We walked thru ups and downs of life together and learned lots about God and ourselves as we studied scripture and spent hours together every week inside and outside of campaigners. I'm going to miss hanging with these precious gals mucho!
 

Second semester we studied Kay Arthur's inductive study book of 1-3 John, Philemon and James...

I truly believe I will never know, until I get to heaven, the work God will do for His Kingdom in this world through these students. These students are world travelers and are bright lights of Christ in their dark communities. I cannot begin to imagine the places and people they will encounter in their future. It is so special to think I was part of their spiritual journey during their high school years in Costa Rica. 


I'm nothing but THANKFUL for the opportunity I had to serve and grow and be a tool for God's work through campaigners in San Jose, Costa Rica.

"I am the Living Bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this Bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh." John 6:51


No comments:

Post a Comment