Tuesday, November 29, 2011

dia de GRACIAS

The above picture is a little decor at the Regional Director's, Kevin Suywn, house, where all of Young Life and Vida Joven Costa Rica staff celebrates Thanksgiving together each year. I was so excited about Thanksgiving Day in Costa Rica because I heard it was one of the most fun days of the year for YL staff! The days leading up to Thanksgiving I was really missing home, as I saw everyone on social media posting they were going "home" to be with family for the holiday. I was sad to be far from my family, boy friend and friends on this special day of the year in the states. Thankfully, Thursday was in fact one of my best days here. Full of gratitude, traditional Thanksgiving food and laughter and games with great friends.

If you didn't know.... they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Costa Rica. (not to undermine your intelligence that this wonderful holiday is a US-only holiday, but I have gotten asked if they celebrate it here!) It was really funny as I tried to explain to my host family WHY we celebrate Thanksgiving... try telling the story of the May Flower and pilgrims and Indians in espanol! If that wasn't enough, I tried to explain to them what pumpkin pie was (one of my favorite things about this holiday!) It took me about 10 minutes to find the words and explain what it is before they understood...or at least I think they did!

Here is a re-cap of the festivities...



they hang the leaves from past years with people's thanks for decor.. what a cute and meaningful idea!

 Jessie and I made potato souffle...everyone loved it!

 Yes, we watched football! Kevin, Packers fan, getting nervous during the game..

Another cute idea- pilgrim hats! Cracker/cookie, marshmallow and jelly bean, all smothered in melted chocolate.

 singing some thanks to God :)


 playing signs!



God has been teaching me so much about how to be truly thankful and how thankfulness is the root of joy and trust in Him. How can you be uncontent if you are thankful for God in that moment? It just doesn't happen. I cannot say I have mastered this yet, but I do believe one of the biggest personal reasons God brought me here was to learn how to be "content, no matter what the circumstance is". So many days pass where I think life would be easier or I would be happier if I was home close to my family and friends. God always reminds me that I am here for a reason and there is SO much joy and purpose to be found here amidst the challenging life of doing ministry internationally.

I'm so thankful for a place I can call home, Houston, Texas, and for all the lovely people there that I love. I'm so thankful for San Jose, Costa Rica and the amazing new family of friends I have here.
I'm so thankful for Jesus Christ dying so that we may have eternal life with God, for giving me a hope that exceeds all understanding, for giving me purpose to live and for loving me no matter what I do.

Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-19

No comments:

Post a Comment